If you’ve been to any smoothie shops lately, you’ve probably seen drink options called bubble tea.
What the heck is bubble tea?
Bubble tea is a Taiwanese drink made from tapioca pearls, fruit, and other flavors.
If you already know what this trendy beverage is and LOVE it, you can thank a woman who invented it during a staff meeting.
What you might not know is traditional bubble tea isn’t very good for you. It’s typically loaded with sugar and carbs and nothing else.
We decided to create a healthier version and teach you how to make your own!
DIY Bubble Tea
The good news is tapioca pearls are pretty easy to cook, although they do take some time.
Once you finish that, though, the hard part is over! Simply mix in your pearls in with a protein smoothie of your choice and you’ve got yourself some bubble tea.
We made ours with IdealLean Vanilla protein and matcha tea powder for a simple but sweet flavor.
You can make your DIY bubble tea with fruit, greens, and various types of protein flavors. The options are limitless!
Enjoy this drink as a pre-workout or after a tough workout. The carbs and protein will help fuel and repair your body.
- Serving size: 1 bubble tea smoothie
- Calories: 300
- Carbs: 47g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 21g
- Fat: 2g
- Sugar: 12
DIY Bubble Tea (With Protein!)
- Serves: 1
- Yield: 1 smoothie
- Prep Time: 1h
- Total Time: 1h
- Bring 3 cups water to a rolling boil, add the tapioca pearls and stir. Reduce the heat to simmer and let cook for 25-30 minutes, then turn off the heat and let sit covered, for another 30 minutes until most of the pearls are translucent.
- While the pearls are cooking, add 3 cups of cold water to a large glass jar or container. Stir in the liquid sweetener of your choice to dissolve. Once the pearls have cooked, drain them from the cooking liquid, rinse them well, and add them to the jar of cold sweetened water. Let sit in the fridge until ready to use. If the water does not entirely cover the pearls, add just enough water to do so.
- Combine the almond milk, protein, and matcha powder in the blender and blend until smooth.
- To assemble, spoon 1/4 cup drained tapioca pearls into a glass. Top with the protein tea drink. Stir with a large straw, sweeten to taste and enjoy.
- *Note: unused pearls will keep in the fridge in their water bath for a couple of days.
- ½ cup large dry pearl tapioca (these are white, but you can purchase black pearls online)
- 6 c water, divided
- 2 tsp. maple syrup or raw honey
- 3/4 c unsweetened almond milk
- 1 scoop vanilla IdealLean protein
- 1/2 tsp. matcha powder